- Finish reading "Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers" — I just passed the halfway point this week. I found the audiobook on YouTube earlier last week, and it's been such a pleasure to read and get sucked into the story.
- Watch two more films on Netflix. — I watched a movie the other week, but I should really be doing like a movie a week.
- Copy down lyrics to two more songs. — Last month I bought a new notebook for everything French. I'm still figuring out the best way to use it, but I'm now copying some song lyrics into here, instead of my small notebook as I'd done before.
- Analyze / learn lyrics / sing along — I've left space on the other side of the page for picking out sentence structures and vocab, etc. I haven't tried memorizing a song since Stromae's "Papaoutai" last year, which I did with the help of FluentU. It was so rewarding and fun to finally be able to rattle off and sing along—knowing how fast and foreign it felt at the start. So basically I should pick another cool song and memorize the lyrics.
- 10 quizzes on Progress with Lawless French — Thanks to a tweet from the lovely Laura Lawless (who was About.com's French expert for maaany years), I'm now taking advantage of the free account (limited to 10 quizzes/month) on Progress with Lawless French. It's mostly for learning grammar, which is knowledge I'm lacking (and want to keep building up). I love her clear, helpful explanations, and the personalized, organized system. (Taking all your quiz results, it tells you: Study this, this and this—with articles linked to each topic. Plus graphs and charts to track your progress, etc.) A nice type-A tool to add into my learning mix.
2. Calligraphy@RebeWithaClause @Jamesrgurney Salut! Thanks for linking to a lesson on my old site. Do you know about the new one? https://t.co/QezaqLRDvB— Lawless French (@LawlessFrench) 1 août 2016
- 20 minutes of practice 2x/week (with accompanying #calligcast post).
3. Live Out My Values
- Write 1-2 posts about values or role models. — I've had all these ideas swirling around in my mind, some captured on mind maps or scribbles in my notebook. I haven't brought them to light yet, though. While I'm sure my thoughts will grow and develop with time, which perhaps is why I'm stalling, there's no harm in getting out where I'm at now. (In fact, I bet there's benefit in doing so!)
That's as much as I feel like committing myself to doing at the moment... What's going to be your focus in August?